Saturday, September 25, 2010

A dolla and a DREAM...

I recall when my fascination with mixing and making my own products really took hold. During the dawn of Facebook, I started networking with other natural hair-rocking sistas like myself in a group simply called "Natural Hair". I also sat pouring over the wisdom in the Nappturality forum every time I got a chance, excited about my new paradigm shift. When the excitement waned and doubt crept in, I wondered if this "natural hair" decision I'd made was really the right one. After 22+ years, things were different now. My hair was no longer relaxed so, umm...now what?

I continued using the products I'd been using while my hair was relaxed. Bummer...somethin' wasn't right. My hair rebelled, I was frustrated and I knew I wasn't willing to relax my hair again.

Then as I faithfully read natural hair forums, so came my epiphany, right on time! I discovered through the forums that many women were making their own products and buying products formulated for hair like ours! I tried the kitchen mixtures suggested and got results, even sampled a few natural hair product lines with mixed results, but was never really happy.

It wasn't long before I discovered a now ubiquitous item that changed how I felt about my hair, as well as my skin. SHEA BUTTER! No more grease, oil sheen, or gunky scalp buildup. Gone were my dry hair and itchy scalp days! I even experienced stronger hair and more growth!

Needless to say, I am still in love with this stuff after 5 years of adding it to my hair repertoire! Natural, and derived from the nut of the African Si or Shea tree, its vitamin content and fatty acid content renders it far superior to cocoa butter, a staple in many Black homes. It's low melting temperature allows for easy absorption into the skin without a greasy feeling when used properly. Its nutty odor can be obscured with fragrance oil or essential oils if desired, but some prefer the rich and supple butter's natural scent.

This therapeutic gift of nature has been used in West Africa for centuries to protect skin from wind, cold, and the harmful rays of the sun. It also helps wounds heal faster, repairs rough, dry and damaged skin, and even fights the effects of aging.

Other Advantages of regular use of Pure Unrefined Shea butter:

* Treating minor burns, eczema, and dry skin
* Relief of Arthrits swelling and pain
* Alleviating muscle stiffness and aiding in their relaxation
* Sunscreen SPF factor of 6 to 10 due to its rich content of Vitamins E&F
* Helps to fight and fade blemishes, wrinkles, stretch marks, skin discolorations and dark spots
* It is Great for massages, diaper rash, other types of rashes and helps keep the hair and scalp healthy and vibrant!

Beware! You may see many products claim to have shea butter as an ingredient, however it is almost useless in small amounts. Pure unrefined shea butter is best if you want to see real results! Grade A white or yellow shea is what I use, though I prefer yellow. The yellow shea obtains the color from the stage at which it is extracted. Though yellow is preferred by some due to the myth that white shea has been stripped of its vitamins, yellow shea does not add any benefit over white shea.

Fast forward to today, living in a small town where limited resources are available for folks with natural hair. My frustration eventually lead me to order a few products offline then one day, I (with LOTS of excitement) decided to develop my own product line and sell shea butter along with scented oils, which I looked forward to buying on my trips to Chicago. I plan to make them available to people who cannot get these items locally and at an affordable price.

Without an abundance of capital, I have to build my business slowly. I plan to add whipped shea butter, lotions, soaps, and creams within the next month or two! I appreciate your support and look forward to this venture!

Blessings,

The Mixtress

1 comment:

  1. Peace & Blessings....Good Luck on your business venture....I need to look into the Shea Butter Soaps...I always knew about some of the benefits but your blog schooled me on the rest.....Keep up the good work w the blog!!

    ReplyDelete